Saturday, February 14, 2009

Deer Creek and Alpine 2004

My goal has been to finish my Phish blog consisting of Phish 1.0 and Phish 2.0 before the beginning of Phish 3.0 which is now less than 3 weeks away. I’m happy to say that NB, JCT, PS along with new friends BPF, old friend BE, Ann Arbor friend CW, and Cottage weekend friend JS will all be at Hampton as well. Special thanks to CC who has decided to give up his ticket to us. We owe you a trip to Las Vegas later this year.

The Sunday after the SPAC show in 2004, we learned that JCT had broken up with his lady, which we know left JCT a little down in the dumps. NB, CC, and PS all went to Deer Creek on Wednesday of that week to catch both shows, but because of my work, I wasn’t able to take that time off. JCT and I originally planned to go to Alpine Valley by driving through Chicago on Friday and Saturday, but I was able to convince JCT that we should leave work early on 6/24/04 and drive to Deer Creek (which is doable if you leave at 2pm or so from Detroit). I think I had scored a ticket via the internet only a few days before the show (a pavilion seat I think), but I can’t recall how JCT got his ticket. In any case, we hit a little traffic on 23 (why we didn’t drive to 69 immediately may have had to do with construction west of Ann Arbor, not to discount the Fred Funk Factor), but made it to the show in time to walk in, find NB, CC, PS, KP and others. Apparently, that crew camped under the same tree at 40 Acres yet again for the 2 night stand.

The June 24th, 2004 show at Deer Creek ranks up with one of the best shows post-hiatus. The choice of songs including classic covers like Timber Ho and Loving Cup along with a raging Tube and Run Like an Antelope made the show great from start to finish.

Thursday, June 24, 2004
Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN
Set I: Loving Cup, Cities -> Back On the Train, Vultures, My Mind's Got a
Mind of its Own, Down With Disease -> Rock and Roll
Set II: Tube, Run Like an Antelope, The Wedge, Timber (Jerry), Prince
Caspian -> Simple, Walls of the Cave
Encore: The Squirming Coil

After the show, we picked up NB and PS at good ole 40 acres campground and drove through the night up to Chicago where we crashed at CG in Lincoln Park. I remember playing the YEM from 12-2-99 in the car and JCT thinking it was pretty damn good. We woke up the next day as we had so many times before, and made our way up to Alpine Valley in Wisconsin. I’m pretty sure I had seats in the pavilion, and that some of us had really good seats (including AW who was attending his first show) but I don’t remember a whole lot from this show. At the time I thought the YEM > 2001 was cool, but it really wasn’t’ jammed out that long. Here is the setlist.

Friday, June 25, 2004
Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
Set I: Julius, Roses Are Free -> AC/DC Bag, Glide, Anything But Me, David
Bowie, Wolfman's Brother, Golgi Apparatus
Set II: Seven Below -> Buffalo Bill -> Lawn Boy -> Mike's Song -> I Am
Hydrogen -> Weekapaug Groove, You Enjoy Myself -> 2001 -> You Enjoy Myself
Encore: Sample in a Jar

After the show, we returned to Chicago. I think we even stopped at the Weiner Circle before heading back to CG’s house to crash.

The next day, we went back up to Alpine. I remember KP being there with her friend EP, and of course MW was there as well and perhaps NB’s friend Curtis.

The 6/26 show was the only show I’ve ever had a seat on the lawn at Alpine, but I remember rocking out hard. The Boogie On was funky, and NB and MW were really dancing hard. For being on the lawn at Alpine, I had a great time.

Saturday, June 26, 2004
Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI
Set I: Access Me, Scents and Subtle Sounds, Stash, The Moma Dance, The
Divided Sky, Wilson -> Funky Bitch, Character Zero
Set II: Boogie On Reggae Woman -> Ghost -> Free, Friday -> Piper -> Harry
Hood
Encore: Possum

There was a lot of chaos after the show. I had trouble finding people, and we somehow ended up at the Lodge at Alpine hanging with MW and some ladies. I was left to drive NB back to O’Hare airport as the sun was rising. He was half conscious when he got out of my car, and apparently had to be woken up after landing back in Denver. I stumbled into CG’s place for a few hours of sleep before heading back to Detroit.

So as it turns out, this may not have been my final run at Deer Creek and Alpine. It was a memorable time for the lack of sleep and general chaos, and not as much for the music.

Thanks for reading!