Sunday, August 21, 2005

POST HIATUS PHISH - Winter 2003

Almost two and a half years after Phish decided to take a break, the band returned for a rare winter tour, making stops in the Midwest. Apparently I could have gone to the New Years show had I known that an extra ticket had come available sooner, but it is just as well I didn’t because I heard the show (and the subsequent shows at Hampton), were not a lot to write home about. So I would have to wait my turn until 2-20-03 at the Rosemont near O’Hare airport in Chicago where I had seen some solid shows back in 99. I hadn’t noticed it before, but airplanes landing at O’Hare fly directly over the arena, probably no more than a few hundred feet above. This seemed a bit strange to me in the post 9/11 world, but I guess if something bad were going to happen, at least I would get to see Phish in my final moments J.

In any case, CC and myself departed good ole G.P. (we were both recent unemployed graduates), made a stop to see a friend in K-Zoo, and made our way onto Chicago where we would crash with AJ. PS, JH, JMc (aka Wooderson), JB, TM, Poochie, and others would also be around for these shows and I think KP was there somewhere too (but you know how KP operates….jk). We arrived at the Rosemont quite early and it was f’in COLD! Tail gating consisted of sitting in the car and pounding beers. Here’s the setlist from 2-20-03.

Thursday, February 20, 2003
Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL

Set I: Rift > Rock and Roll, Guyute, Driver, Waves > Simple, Gotta Jibboo
Set II: Tweezer > Punch You in the Eye > Fast Enough for You, Seven Below, Pebbles and Marbles
Encore: Golgi Apparatus, Anything But Me, Tweezer Reprise

I have to be honest when I say that this show was a HUGE disappointment for me. While it may not look all that bad on paper, I thought it really blew. Since then, I have listened to the Gotta Jibboo which was actually pretty solid, but I still don’t have fond memories of this show when compared to the following two nights in Cincinnati. A friend of mine (who is much more of a noob) swears that this was a good show, but CC and I both agree that this show was pretty lame and sounded bad. And it’s not that I didn’t like the new songs (except Seven Below, man that song sucks), it’s just that Phish definitely didn’t sound as crisp after hiatus as they did before the break. The Jibboo is a good song to work out to, however.

After crashing at AJ’s house in Chicago, we departed for Cincinnati where the Phish scene would literally take over the downtown. Our crew stayed at the Crown Plaza in Cinci in rooms just across the hall from one another. The Crown Plaza was a great place to party, especially in light of the fire at the Sheraton which forced the evacuation of the hotel at 5am after the first night.

After driving to Cinci, we didn’t have a lot of time to pre-party, but that didn’t matter because the show was spectacular. Here is the setlist from 2-21-03.

Friday, February 21, 2003
U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH

Set I: Wilson > Frankenstein, Down with Disease, Lifeboy, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Run Like An Antelope, I Didn't Know
Set II: Mike's Song -> Free > Waste -> Also Sprach Zarathustra, Harry Hood, All of These Dreams, Possum > Cavern
Encore: Wading in the Velvet Sea
Show Notes: Lifeboy was played for the first time since November 25, 1998 (129 shows). I Didn't Know included some dancing antics from Trey, Page, and Mike, while Fishman took his vacuum solo. 2001 included teases of Stash, as well as Bach's "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring."

I sat next to a kid who was at his first show and kept nudging him the whole time about how awesome it was. I remember sitting with CC, lower bowl, dead center. I think the show peaked with the 2001; I still get goose bumps listening to this particularly when the Bach teases end and Mike turns up the base. Listening to the recording, it even sounds like someone is talking a bit during the beginning of 2001, a voice that sounds like Son Seals although it was probably Fishman. This is one of the few shows I have ordered off of www.livephish.com. The rest of the show speaks for itself except for the Wading encore, a bit of a let down even though the Wading Encore would become the classic closer to some great shows (6/19/04, 12/31/99, and others).

After the show, we took over a small bar for some drinks and food and partied into the night at the hotel. I remember we waited 2 hours for a pizza from the hotel, and played cards in the lobby. I think some airline pilots were particularly pissed with the noise the Phish fans were making in the hotel.

The next day, we scoped out parts of downtown Cinci and took our time getting ready for the show. AJ and I took so much time that we walked in after the first tune. None of us were disappointed by the show however. While the music couldn’t compare to the first night of Cinci, the concert was still solid. Here is the setlist.

Saturday, February 22, 2003
U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, OH

Set I: The Sloth, Dogs Stole Things, Piper -> Weekapaug Groove, Dirt, Scent of a Mule, Walls of the Cave, Mountains in the Mist, Sample In a Jar
Set II: Tube > Bathtub Gin, Friday -> David Bowie, Bug
Encore: Suzie Greenberg
Show Notes: For the first known time, Weekapaug was played without Mike's Song (possibly to bring closure to the Mike's Song a night earlier). Gin included a down-tempo DEG tease.

We had seats in the lower bowl, Trey side as it was then I believe. The crowd really liked the breakout of Weekapaug to complete the Mike’s Groove from the night before. The highlight of the show for me was the start/stop jamming in Tube, and the Bathtub Gin was one of many great Gins played during that tour (2/14 and 2/28 top it IMO). I have lost most of my recording of this show except for the Tube and the Bathtub Gin which became a filler on another disc.

After the show, we again made a light night out of it at the Plaza hotel. While I wasn’t there, apparently some of the U of M kids ran into a kid who went apeshit over the Suzy Greenburg, and from now on, it will be known as Thuzie Greenberg. “Are u therious?”

So this was “theriously” a great little winter run of shows, with nice accommodations and great times with friends. I will remember them fondly. It was nice to see Phish back although I thought the music was less crisp as before hiatus. Still, I would be prompted to see 15 more shows in 2003, and 29 shows post hiatus, so obviously the magic was still there.

Thanks for reading, especially JCT. Sorry you didn’t make this edition; my memory is hazy but I’m sure you were chilling with your Miami folks.

Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

funk...i was at the second night of cincy...remember, chip, ann and I came to your hotel room for a little prepartying before the show?

anyway...keep it up...still waiting for the Miami run!